Apprentice Graphic Designer Job Description, Important Duties and Requirements
This post provides complete information on the job description commonly assigned to apprentice graphic designer, to help you understand what they do.
It highlights the important duties, tasks, and responsibilities that majorly define the apprentice graphic designer work description.
It also presents the requirements you need to have to be hired for the apprentice graphic designer position by most employers or recruiters and to succeed in your career.
Please, continue reading to improve your knowledge of the apprentice graphic designer job:
What Does an Apprentice Graphic Designer Do?
An apprentice graphic designer can be described as a professional individual who is saddled with the responsibility of working as part of a small team under the supervision of a senior graphic designer to create and implement engaging designs following requirements and producing high-quality works.
In other words, an apprentice graphic designer refers to an individual who is typically an employee of an art department or part of a creative team whose responsibility is to work under the management of a lead or senior graphic designer in a department.
His/her job description entails learning from the creative team, providing support in the process of disseminating duties and giving back reports to the manager or senior graphic designer in the department.
The job role or position of an apprentice graphic designer is typically the first step for an ideal candidate or any interested individual who is looking to work in the graphic design industry.
An apprentice graphic designer will initially be given rudimentary and routine assignments typically, and as more experience is gained, he or she is granted more creative freedom.
Apprentice graphic designers, in the process of discharging their duties, are expected to carry out several crucial tasks daily.
One of the important duties that are required from an apprentice graphic designer is to perform more routine aspects of design works, as he or she may be asked to develop page layouts or come up with designs for various landing pages for a website.
An apprentice who works in a creative team in advertising or marketing may be required to create storyboards for commercial or packaging ideas, as these art projects are usually assigned to apprentice or junior graphic designers in the field.
Other responsibilities that may be carried out by an apprentice graphic designer include developing and assembling images and graphics to create designs for webpages, print media, product design, displays, productions, and so on, overseeing and directing marketing design products, working collaboratively with multiple departments, designing and developing brand identity, and performing several other necessary duties as required by the organization he or she works for.
Additionally, the position of a graphic designer senior graphic designer demands that the ideal candidate or any interested individual showcases certain skills and characteristics that are required to guarantee and foster efficiency, effectiveness, and productivity in the process of disseminating the duties of the job role.
Some of the skills that are required to work as an apprentice graphic designer include, adequate experience and proficiency in design software and graphic editing tools, familiarity with design techniques, good teamwork and interpersonal skills, well-developed verbal and written communication skills, a keen eye for detail, efficient time management and multitasking abilities, creative thinking and problem-solving aptitude, and several other relevant skills.
In terms of academic qualifications, the ideal candidate must possess at least a Bachelor’s or Associate’s degree in Graphic Arts or in a relevant field.
Some employers may also consider post-secondary education and training in the field. Moreover, the average salary for an apprentice graphic designer is $40,150 annually.
Apprentice Graphic Designer Job Description Sample/Example/Template
Below is a sample of the job description of an apprentice graphic designer:
- Examining, identifying, and understanding specific project requirements and concepts
- Utilizing various techniques to create drafts, models, and prototypes
- Working collaboratively with multiple departments and other creative team members to launch projects
- Utilizing feedback and recommendations from other designers to enhance career development
- Assisting with the production of good-looking and well-convertible graphics
- Building and maintaining healthy relationships with clients, as well as other team members
- Assisting with the installation and maintenance of hardware and software
- Working efficiently and effectively to ensure that the agreed deadlines are met.
Apprentice Graphic Designer Job Description for Resume
If you are writing a new resume and have had some working experience as a graphic designer apprentice, you can write the professional experience part of the resume by applying information from the above sample apprentice graphic designer job description.
It provides the duties and responsibilities you can apply to effectively describe what you did when you worked as a graphic designer apprentice in the professional experience section of your resume.
This piece of information can significantly influence the recruiter/employer’s decision to hire you, especially if the new job that you are applying for requires some working experience as an apprentice graphic designer. .
Apprentice Graphic Designer Requirements – Skills, Knowledge, Abilities for Career Success
Some of the crucial skills, abilities, knowledge, and qualifications that are commonly required to be hired for the apprentice graphic designer role include:
- Adequate experience and proficiency in design software such as InVision and graphic editing tools such as PhotoShop, CorelDRAW, and so on
- In-depth familiarity with design techniques such as prototyping
- Ability to manage time effectively and multitask, as this is important to perform efficiently and effectively under pressure and also meet agreed deadlines
- Creativity skills and problem-solving aptitude, as an apprentice graphic designer must be able to contribute to the development and implementation of new design solutions
- Ability to pay particular attention to detail, as this is important to create dazzling and error-free designs
- At least a Bachelor’s degree or Associate’s degree in Graphic Arts or post-secondary education and training in the field.
The role played by an apprentice graphic designer in the design industry cannot be underestimated as he or she utilizes his or her passion for design and keen interest in graphic creation to work effectively as part of a creative team, and also support the lead or senior graphic designer to produce high-quality designs, while also paying attention to the development of his or her skills.
If you are interested in becoming an apprentice graphic designer, you will find this post helpful in increasing your knowledge of the duties and responsibilities that characterize the job.