Apparel Graphic Designer Job Description Example, Duties and Responsibilities
This post provides complete information of the job description of an apparel graphic designer to increase your knowledge of what they do.
It shows the major duties, tasks, and responsibilities that commonly make up the apparel graphic designer work description.
It also presents the major requirements most employers will expect you to fulfill if you are seeking the job of an apparel graphic designer.
Please, continue reading to increase your knowledge of the apparel graphic designer career:
What Does an Apparel Graphic Designer Do?
An apparel graphic designer is responsible for creating items for fashion ranges such as children’s wear, sportswear, footwear, and accessories.
The apparel graphic designer job description involves conceptualizing, designing, and executing creative projects for fashion products such as men, women, and youth’s graphic apparel, equipment, accessories, and brand labeling systems.
An apparel graphic designer is expected to update his or her knowledge of fashion trends, take briefs from clients or customers and suppliers, work collaboratively with production teams, produce patterns, liaise and negotiate with customers and suppliers and oversee the management of various business activities.
He or she is saddled with the responsibility of planning and creating original clothing, accessories, and footwear, sketching designs, choosing fabrics and patterns, and providing instructions on how to make or produce the products he or she has designed.
An apparel graphic designer, in the process of carrying out his or her duties is required to perform a variety of crucial activities daily.
One of the essential duties that are carried out by an apparel graphic designer includes carefully studying fashion trends and anticipating designs that will appeal to consumers.
The designer is also expected to liaise and work collaboratively with other creative teams such as the graphic design director and other creative directors to develop seasonal graphic concepts.
Another important responsibility of an apparel graphic designer is to research current fashion trends before developing a new design and predict future trends with the use of trend reports that are published by fashion industry trade groups.
After an apparel graphic designer gets an initial idea, he or she may proceed to try out a variety of fabrics to produce a prototype, often with less expensive materials, before proceeding to the final product.
The graphic designer must be able to work with models to identify and examine designs and determine if adjustments or recommendations are needed.
Additionally, he/she may choose to focus on one or all of the types of apparel designs which include clothing design, footwear design, accessory design, and costume design.
To become an apparel graphic designer certain skills and attributes or characteristics are required.
These include artistic ability, effective communication and interpersonal skills, computer proficiency, creativity, decision-making skills, detail-oriented mind, customer service, time management skills, and business acumen.
In terms of academic qualifications, at least a Bachelor’s degree in fields such as Fashion Design or Fashion Merchandising or any other related discipline is required to work as an apparel graphic designer.
Ideal candidates must have also worked on projects that can be added to their portfolio to showcase their designs, as this is highly considered by most employers.
Apparel Graphic Designer Salary: The average salary for this job position is $68,460 annually.
Apparel Graphic Designer Job Description Example/Sample/Template
Shown below are major duties, tasks, and responsibilities that typically constitute the apparel graphic designer job description in most organizations:
- Contributing to the innovative, brand-right graphics for all levels of the global apparel and product branding
- Overseeing and managing the creative process to ensure that the final product complies with creative direction and commercial objectives
- Liaising with graphic design director and other creative directors in the organization to develop seasonal graphic concepts
- Researching current fashion trends and making predictions on future trends with the use of trend reports published by fashion industry trade groups
- Sketching ideas digitally with CAD (computer-aided design) programs
- Working with models to see how designs turn out and making adjustments to the designs as needed
- Offering designs or products outside of traditional brick-and-mortar stores with the utilization of the Internet and e-commerce.
Apparel Graphic Designer Job Description for Resume
If you have worked before or are presently working as an apparel graphic designer and are preparing a resume for a new job, you will need to include a professional or work experience section in your resume.
You can apply the sample job description above in making the professional experience part of your resume to quickly inform the employer that you have the needed apparel graphic designer working experience.
This information can boost your chances of getting hired for the position, especially if having some work experience as an apparel graphic designer is important to the new job that you are applying for.
Apparel Graphic Designer Requirements – Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities for Career Success
If you are seeking to work as an apparel graphic designer, here are major requirements you might be expected to meet to be hired by most employers:
- Well-developed written and verbal communication skills, as an apparel graphic designer is often required to work with teams throughout the design process, therefore communication skills are required for instructions to be properly and effectively conveyed
- Computer proficiency, since an apparel graphic designer must be able to design with the aid of technology with the use of computer-aided design (CAD) programs and graphics editing software
- Good time management skills that enable an apparel graphic designer to deliver projects within a tight deadline
- Well-developed decision-making skills, as an apparel graphic designer is exposed to many ideas and must be able to decide which ideas should be incorporated into their designs
- At least a Bachelor’s degree in fields such as Fashion Design or Fashion Merchandising or any other related discipline.
If you are someone interested in the apparel graphic designer career and want to know the duties and responsibilities performed by the role, you will find this post helpful.
Recruiters who need to make a description of the apparel graphic designer to use in recruiting for the position in their organization will also find this post useful.
They can apply the sample apparel graphic designer job description provided above as a template in making one for the available position in their company.