Assistant Graphic Designer Job Description, Duties, and Responsibilities
This post provides exhaustive information of the job description of an assistant graphic designer to help you understand the work they do.
It presents the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities that majorly define the assistant graphic designer work description in most organizations.
It also highlights the major requirements that applicants seeking the assistant graphic designer job need to meet to be considered for hiring by employers.
Please, read on to learn what the assistant graphic designer career entails:
What Does an Assistant Graphic Designer Do?
An assistant graphic designer is responsible for assisting a lead graphic designer to finish all print, online, and electronic media projects.
The assistant graphic designer job description entails preparing marketing materials, building print layouts, providing creative input, developing and designing logos and images, and developing designs for promotional tools.
It also involves designing graphics that will be used in media products such as magazines, labels, advertising, and signage.
An assistant graphic designer is expected to provide support to the lead graphic designer and creative team of an organization or an institution by assisting to efficiently drive the brand’s awareness and engagement between their current base and their potential customers.
In the process of performing their duties, the assistant is required to execute several important daily activities which range from assisting the lead graphic designer to dispatching accurate artwork to dealers, external printers, and distributors within a stipulated deadline.
Some of the duties and responsibilities that constitute the assistant graphic designer work description include providing adequate assistance to the lead or senior graphic designer in the process of designing and developing computer graphics, creating and developing graphic packages by utilizing packaging templates, assisting in the development and execution of graphical presentations, and being actively involved in the planning, designing, and development of graphics based on customer or client requirements.
An assistant graphic designer may also be responsible for updating the company or organization’s website and social media networks with graphics and multimedia.
He/she may also be responsible for liaising or negotiating with clients to determine their requirements and budgets, managing and overseeing client proposals from typesetting through to design, printing, and production.
The role of an assistant graphic designer requires that they possess and demonstrate some certain skills that are needed for efficiency in this job position.
Some of these include excellent IT skills especially with design and photo-editing software, outstanding creativity and innovative skills, excellent time management and organizational skills, high accuracy skills and the ability to pay particular attention to detail, as well as the ability to understand and keep up with the latest trends within a commercial environment.
In terms of academic qualifications, the assistant graphic designer role demands that the ideal candidate must have acquired a Bachelor’s degree in fields such as Graphic Design, Industrial Design, Interior Design, or in any other relevant or equivalent discipline or experience.
However, other art and design subjects can also be accepted. A variety of relevant postgraduate programs are also available in several higher education institutions.
Assistant Graphic Designer Salary: The average salary for an assistant graphic designer is $38,000 annually.
Assistant Graphic Designer Job Description Example/Sample/Template
The assistant graphic designer performs various duties, tasks, and responsibilities as shown below:
- Providing adequate support to the senior graphic designer in the process of designing and developing computer graphics
- Creating and developing packages with the utilization of packaging templates
- Helping with the development and execution of graphical presentations
- Planning, developing, and designing graphics to meet customer requirements and optimize their satisfaction
- Updating the company or brand’s website with graphics and multimedia
- Participating actively in the production of new products
- Liaising and working cooperatively with other departments to ensure smooth functioning
- Staying up to date with market trends relevant to the graphic design industry and products.
Assistant Graphic Designer Job Description for Resume
If you have worked previously as a assistant graphic designer or are currently working in that position and are writing a new resume, it will be helpful to include the work or professional experience section to your resume.
In this part of your resume, you can convincingly show to the employer that you have been successful performing the duties of an assistant graphic designer.
Having this information in your resume can greatly influence the recruiter’s decision to hire you, especially if working experience as an assistant graphic designer is important to being successful on the new job.
You can apply the sample assistant graphic designer job description provided above in creating a compelling professional experience section for your resume.
Assistant Graphic Designer Requirements – Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities for Career Success
If you are seeking to work as an assistant graphic designer, here are major requirements most employers might expect you to meet:
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, as an assistant graphic designer will be required to liaise with clients to efficiently and effectively meet their needs and optimize their satisfaction
- Particular attention to detail and the ability to be analytical and detail-oriented, as an assistant graphic designer must be able to produce high quality and error-free artwork
- Exceptional creativity and innovative skills, since the job of an assistant graphic designer requires the ideal candidate to try new styles and be inventive when planning or designing
- Excellent time management and organizational skills, as an assistant graphic designer must be able to deliver efficient services within a given deadline
- Several years of professional experience in graphic design
- A Bachelor’s degree in fields such as Graphic Design, Industrial Design, or Interior Design, or in any other relevant or equivalent discipline.
If you are someone interested in the assistant graphic designer career and want to increase your knowledge of what the role involves, you will find this post helpful.
You will also find this post useful if you are an employer or recruiter needing to produce a detailed description of the assistant graphic designer job to use in hiring for the position.
You will be able to create one by applying the assistant graphic designer job description example provided above.