Top 15 Typography Facts for Graphic Designing Beginners
This post provides detailed facts about typography, to help graphic designers who are beginning their careers understand what typography is and how it can influence their work to achieve the best result for their project.
Please read on:
What is Typography?
Typography is the art and process of typesetting and arranging how the printed word will appear on the page. Typography came about when print was born.
Typography is more than just a set of letters or words.
Graphic designers should see typography as a form of art. Typography, being an art form is not just picking out certain fonts, it is all about using these fonts and typefaces creatively.
Typography enables the designer to pass information across through typesets or written words.
Typography is responsible for the presentation and uniqueness of design content.
Top 15 Typography Facts for Graphic Designing Beginners
Here are major facts graphic designers who are just starting out need to know about typography:
- Typography and fonts are said to affect people’s trust on a brand.
Different types and fonts communicate different messages to clients or customers.
Studies have showed that people are more likely to believe information written in Baskerville than Comic Sans due to its type’s British sense of formality which has contributed to its credibility.
- Typography lower-case letters are suitable for road signs.
According to researches on road sign, studies have shown that using lowercase letters with upper case initial for signs has made it easier to read from a distance and at a high speeds.
- Typography does not include only letters, but all the symbols in a font and the overall design of a page or document.
Typography features in any medium which may be read, therefore it also includes text on computer screen.
- One of the more helpful facts about typographical fonts: For people with learning disability, it is advised to use bold letters, typefaces and fonts like sans-serif fonts with obvious letter spacing with at least 1.5 line spacing, and the lowercases like the Ps and Qs aren’t the same glyph.
5. The rate of competitive business environment in today’s world has left brands with no other option than to create their distinguished and distinctive identities.
They must have to grab the targeted customers’ attention to convey a brand message. And for this sake, graphic designers use typography as a potent tool and weapon to turn text into an impactful visual device to draw the attention of potential clients and customers.
- Calculated and meticulous use of typography is the key to building a perfect brand; it is mostly used for beginners to stand out in their niche market.
Typography as a design element makes logos, websites, and other marketing tools look unique, distinctive, and meaningful.
Besides graphic designers, other creative experts like artists also make use of typographic art to create amazing figures using letters in varied ways.
- With typography craft, graphic designers adjust the text within the design. This helps in creating content with a purpose.
The strategic use of typefaces allows designers to make a design look aesthetic, unique, and pleasing.
- Designers have been using typefaces strategically to make text readable, and also to make an impression on viewers.
The use of unique typography ideas, designers can create designs that enable brands to communicate with their audience in an effective way.
Typography enables designers to create visuals for brands. As a beginner graphic designer, you have to consider some crucial things when using typography.
You have to make a rational decision regarding the choice of font, size, white space, body text, placement, and other aspects of using typefaces.
- The purpose of hierarchy is to guide the viewer’s eyes to the most important element on the design.
As a beginner in graphic designing, you should note that typography is used to decide where a visitor should read first.
To create text visual hierarchy, you should consider changing the font size and typeface to catch the eye and drive the attention of readers to the most important information in the content.
Typographic hierarchy helps you add stress to the significance of certain lines and sentences of type as opposed to others.
You can establish and order the way in which the audience receives information from the design.
- Most logos are typography based and these logos are the brands that people recognize quickly.
So, your typography design ideas should simply aim at creating your brand recognition.
Distinctive use of typography is important in other to ensure you achieved your goal on the desired impact on the audience and how they should react to your brand.
The logos of Google, CocaCola, GAP, and Disney are a good example of typography based logos.
These logos are all good examples of renowned typography logo due to their specific use of typefaces.
- Typographies are used by graphic designers to ascertain harmony in designs or web page.
Harmonic designs have an artistic effect on the viewers. Graphic designers tend to use the same particular font for similar content so that people can recognize it at a glance.
- Typography is an important design element that helps to build an impression on viewers or the audience.
Designers use type texts to create logos or they use larger fonts to make bold visual impact.
They relay the message to their audience about the content through texts.
- The full width of a block of text can be illustrated with the typographic measuring. Measurement is particularly important when creating a website.
14. All fonts are not equal to others. This means that different fonts occupy different space rations on a web page.
This is a very simple fact and rule often overlooked by many graphic designers, even the professionals in general.
Fonts are created with square attention on the details of every inch of letterform. It is factual evidence that stretching a font takes away its effectiveness, efficiency, and value.
- Typography is not just texts and letters, typography is also art even for graphic designers.
Typography is not just the fonts used on the text complementary to your design. Typographical fonts are carefully styled, therefore it requires a level of artistic experience to handle them.
This is more than constructing plain text. It is all about creating these fonts as a form of art.
What makes a perfect typography is the effectiveness of the graphic designer to produce a page which is legible and attractive to read, without it being vague.
For screen display typographies, like typographies used in entertainment or advertising, the display must be clear and noticeable before it is read.
This has led to the creation of display typefaces which are highly visible and catchy, and are available in large sizes.